Sunday, October 29, 2006

Veni ad Roma

I'm at an internet cafe and have some time left over so I thought I would do a quick update. I'm in Rome now, have been here for about 8 hours so far. In that time I have already seen how different this city is from any other in the world. It's almost like watching a movie. A very funny movie where people drive wherever they want and traffic lights are more of a suggestion than a law. But the greatest thing so far...the weather! After 4 days of dripping gloom in London, I came here and the sun was blazing and the air was 30 degrees. I couldnt believe it, why dont people come down here every weekend just for that?

Once I got to my hostel my room wasnt ready yet so I went up to the roof. Six stories up, but I tell you not even Donald Trump can boast a view like this place has. It is 360 degrees, and everywhere you look you see a monument or a statue, I think in the distance you can see the Pantheon, but I cant be sure as there was quite a bit of haze. So in any case, I was very tired because the previous night had been spent leaning on my backpack at the airport trying to catch a few hours of sleep (not too successful). So while my room was being prepared, I went up onto the roof and started doing something I have never done before in my life: stripping. Yes I turned gigolo for all of Rome to see. First my T-shirt, then my shoes, and as the finale my pants came off as well until I was sitting in nothing but my boxers. But the sun felt sooo good on my tired muscles, so I leaned back and fell asleep for an hour. I got a weeks worth of Vitamin D with one short nap. Take that Canadian weather!

Now I have awoken (obviously) and the sun is starting to set. I think I shall go walk around the area and see what it has to offer. But I am heeding the advice many of you have given. As soon as I got to the center of Rome, I could tell there are quite a few shady characters around (one even asked me if I needed a place to stay...I dont know what his plan was, but I dont think it was just dinner and a nap), so I am being careful when walking. But thats Rome for you, have to take the good with the bad.

Alrite all hope you are well. Will write more when time permits, and perhaps try and get some pictures up here for you as well. Take care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home