Monday, December 04, 2006

Zurich, Switzerland

I forced myself to stay awake on the train across Switzerland even though I was exhausted. The whole point of coming to this country was to see the Alps and landscape, none of which can be seen while trying to catch a nap. I remember thinking how this was the most serenely beautiful countries I´ve ever come across. There are cows grazing absolutely everywhere, and in the background of every vista are the omnipresent Alps, capped in snow.

Upon reaching Zurich I wandered around lost again, trying to find my hostel. It was tucked away on a little street parallel to the main walking street. I checked in and began exploring the surroundings. Absolutely every street is cobblestoned. I almost twisted my ankle on several occasions. It is the kind of city that does not really have historic wonders to boast (especially after coming from Italy), but walking around you come to appreciate its charm. Everything is small and close together. I think when someone thinks of the stereotypical European city, the image in their mind is very similar to Zurich. It is clean, quiet and everything was built sometime in the 18th or 19th centuries.

I was only in town for two days so I walked around quite a bit. I went to see my first beer hall. It is quite a fun atmosphere, you are seated with whomever has space and you just start eating, drinking and talking to whoever is next to you. And when you order a beer it isn´t a beer. It is a jug, a cauldron of beer with a handle. I met another Canadian at the hotel and we went around town in search of something called the Spaghetti Factory. When we found out that garlic bread was more expensive than beer, the decision was easy.

In the end Zurich is a place you should come as a base for exploration of the countryside. It does have things to offer on its own account, but if you have travelled to or are about to travel to much larger and older cities, it is more like a break than a destination in itself. That was my experience of it in any case. It was worth it just to be able to withdraw cash from a real Swiss bank. The next day I was on to a city that was put on the itinerary late in my planning, but I am so glad that I went. I was going to Munich. As a farewell from Zurich I remember being at the train station and seeing a married couple at a cafe. I think the husband brought the wrong coffee or something, but that triggered a fuse in his wife who smacked the cup onto the ground (smashing it), flipped the table she was sitting at and stormed off. Both the husband and waiter looked on, absolutely clueless. It was a very funny end to my visit. On to Germany.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home